Fremont Historic Marker is named for the efforts of John Fremont who, directed and outfitted by the U.S. government, established a major camp at the base of the Sutter Buttes where he helped the United States secure California ahead of the aspirations of the English, Russians and French. An attack in 1846 against Mexico’s Northern Regional Headquarters at Sonoma (facilitated in part by Fremont) encouraged the United States to bring more troops into California and block the intrigue of the Europeans. California became a state four years later. The Fremont Historic Marker is located on Pass Road near Sutter approximately 1.5 miles west of Butte House Road.
AddressFremont Historic Marker
Near Sutter on Pass Road,
1.5 miles west of Butte House Road