Historic Marker #929
Marker at 9001 Colusa Hwy, eight miles west of Yuba City
William Thompson, an Englishman, and his family settled in Sutter County in 1863 and, in 1872 he sent to New York for three cuttings of a grape called Lady de Coverly. Only one cutting survived, but the grape, first publicly displayed in Marysville in 1875, became known as Thompson’s seedless grape. Today, thousands of acres of grapes are planted in California for the production of raisins, bulk wine and table grapes.
AddressSite of Propagation of the Seedless Thompson Grape
8949 Colusa Hwy
Sutter, CA 95982